Through the years, many of its members have been men of importance and influence in our community. The first officers were F. A. Strong (W. M.), T. Wells Green (S. W.), Charles Breed (J. W.), James H. Wood (Secretary), David L. Wood (Treasurer) Frank DeLorm (S. D.), Nelson W. Bates (J. D.), Charles W. Avery (S.M.C.), S. L. Hulbert (J.M.C.), and S. All (Tiler). The first Lodge Rooms were in the Breed and Ramsey Building (which today, 2009, is possibly about where Alaura's Bakery is??) located on Main Street near the corner of Caughdenoy Street.
They then moved to the ball room of the Dixon House where the Ford Garage later stood. The next move was to rooms over the store that was later operated as Low's Superette. In 1900 they again moved, this time to the third floor of the Bates-Elliott block, which was on the corner of East Street and Mallory Street. In 1919 the Lodge had their rooms on the third floor of the Wightman-Penoyer building, which burned on February 9, 1921. The lodge lost everything. The total insurance was $2,400. They then moved back to the Bates-Elliott block and occupied the Odd Fellows rooms for a short time before moving to the Grange Hall (which was about where Traubs Funeral home Parking lot is in 2009), which they used until the building of the present Lodge building on East Street (Today, 2009, East Ave.). Land was purchased on East Street from the Bennet estate and a new building was planned. H. P. Goettel Lumber Company had the contract and the Temple was built at a cost of $22,000.
August 7, 1925 the corner stone of the temple was laid. The Masons assembled at the Grange Hall and marched to the building as one body. Deposited in the corner stone were the proceedings of the Grand Lodge of the State of New York for 924, the Central Square Lodge by-laws, a list of past and present officers and members, a R.A.M penny, a U.S. $.25 coin, a copy of the Central Square News for August 7, and clippings from that paper dated July 24th and July 31st. On September 25, 1925 the Masonic Temple was dedicated. Over the years the temple has served many communities purposes. Some of them are; a place where silent movies were shown and local talent such as piano playing was show cased. Minstrel shows, medicine shows and talent plays were given in the ballroom as well as dances and parties. At one time, due to overcrowding, the temple was used as a schoolroom. While the library was being built it became "The Public Library".
3215 East Avenue